NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Vice President of New Business & Marketing
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations and social purpose companies.
Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are seeking an individual with 15 years of experience in an agency setting or immersed in Fenton’s community of clients – campaigns, issue advocacy, foundations and nonprofits.
People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.
This person will report to Fenton’s CEO and will work closely with members of the senior leadership team and supervise a new business and marketing department of dedicated staff.
The right candidate will:
- thrive under a fast-paced environment and have a love of “the chase” and building agency reputation
- bring deep experience through working on accounts over their history providing a basis of understanding for how to develop business and agency positioning in the marketplace.
- be an excellent strategist and project manager, intuitively understand the needs of potential clients and be able to oversee the business development process as well as the principles of marketing.
This role will work across multiple teams and office locations virtually on a daily basis, but this position does not work directly on client accounts. They will be a significant contributor to the growth of Fenton and have a wide range of project management and internal coordination skills.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Shepherding of new business proposals. This requires management of the new business development process across all Fenton offices which encompasses the following primary duties:
- Take a leadership role in coordination with senior leadership in vetting incoming inquiries and RFPs to determine viability of opportunities
- Strategize the needs for the proposal, such as any research
- Create a uniform process across all teams
- Collaborate with key staff who should take on various assignments in developing the proposal such as:
- Senior leaders who can serve as key contributors of strategic sections based on subject knowledge or other expertise
- Senior leaders who can develop budgets or consult on budgets
- Members of the operations/finance team who are responsible for any major paperwork often required for government RFPs.
- Other support or core staff who can help populate proposals with case studies, bios or other modular sections.
- Serve as main liaison with our creative department to ensure the format, design and “look” of the proposal meets high standards.
- Contribute when necessary to develop or complete sections of the proposals
- Identify content from past proposals that are applicable to new proposals and provide recommendations on proposal templates.
- Organize and track the multiple new business opportunities we have in play to ensure writing, construction of key elements such as bios, case studies, budgets for the proposals are completed on deadline.
- Maintain a new business calendar and CRM database to track inquiries
- Supervise an account executive dedicated to supporting the new business process.
- Oversee our bi-weekly new business council meeting among Fenton’s senior staff.
- Develop strategies that enhance the firm’s competitiveness in the marketplace such as creating universal services’ pricing
- Work with the leadership team to build and execute an integrated marketing and communications plans for the Fenton brand. Major initiatives could include:
- Evolving the Fenton brand positioning — mission, vision and values — and oversight of strategies for how the refreshed brand is integrated across all our communications platforms
- Leading the development of intellectual property opportunities to heighten our competitiveness
- Other tactics that this individual will help lead the team in execution include:
- Build and maintain paid media plans and Fenton’s email distribution strategy
- Create a reporting and analysis structure to provide senior leadership with regular updates on progress
- Advise senior leadership on recommendations for conference attendance, award submissions, speaking engagements, and networking opportunities
- Develop press releases to announce new hires
- Ensure website updates are made related to new hires
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- 15 years of experience in an agency setting with a proven track record of strong project management and new business acumen.
- Ability to efficiently multitask under tight deadlines
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Google Suite, Slack, and internet research tools
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbally and in writing, with various levels of staff and potential clients
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism and flexibility in approach to project assignments
- Ability to interact and meet team expectations in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Demonstrated knowledge of standards, principles, and techniques of marketing, public relations, communications and social activism
- Is passionate about social issues and interested in working on campaigns which tackle progressive causes
- Knowledge of progressive politics and one or more of Fenton’s issue areas
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for Vice President = 140,000 – 190,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- A stipend to support your work-from-home setup
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work