Permanent / Full Time
The Vice President reports directly to the Managing Director in the Washington, DC office, works collaboratively with senior leadership across the firm, plays a pivotal role in new business activities and provides day-to-day oversight of assigned accounts and high-level strategic counsel to clients. The Vice President is responsible for project, budget and staff management.
Candidates must have some media relations and/or messaging/strategic experience and preferably will have strong media contacts in national politics. Ideal candidates have expertise in politics, social justice and other progressive issues. Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Conducting strategic communications planning for individual organizations and issue movements
- Writing new business proposals, strategy documents, communications plans and other client-ready materials
- Developing strategy, communications plans, memos, press kits and pitch plans
- Overseeing media relations work for key national and state media outlets
- Managing client budgets and work plans to ensure profitability
- Coordinating online and offline campaigns and strategies
- Leading new business pitch teams
- Managing and supervising job teams and individual staff
- Participating in meetings with DC senior staff and staff across Fenton on organizational goals, growth and vision
- Ten years’ experience in public-interest communications, or demonstrated equivalent experience, with preference for political, advocacy or agency experience.
- Demonstrated staff management and mentoring experience, including direct management of staff at varying career levels (Please specifically describe this level of experience in your resume or cover letter.)
- Demonstrated issue expertise in one or more of the firm’s issue areas
- Experience in public relations, including firm understanding of client billing processes, client contracts and client service
- Successful ability to manage client accounts and budgets
- Superior writing skills
- A well-established network
- Demonstrated business development and networking skills
- Demonstrated ability to pitch and land new business
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.