NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy, and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
Fenton’s Accounting Department is looking to add a Staff Accountant to the team. They will be an integral part of the Finance team, responsible for full-cycle Accounts Payables, vendor setup and bookkeeping. This entails entering Accounts Payable invoices, processing payments, booking journal entries and reporting.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Accounts Payables (75%)
- Review and process vendor invoices on the General Ledger (Sage Intacct)
- Review, approve and process Client/Employee reimbursements on Expense management system (Expensify)
- Prepare electronic wire payments and occasional paper checks
- Process, file and distribute year-end 1099 forms
- Manage vendor documentation such as W9s, POs and invoices
- Monthly Bank and Credit Card reconciliations
- Respond to AP inquiries from vendors, client teams and senior management as needed
General accounting (15%)
- Month-end close activities, Billing/Accounts Receivables assistance
- Booking journal entries for bank transactions
- Assist Finance with expense accruals, reversals, budgets, and forecasting of expenses
- Clerical duties such as sorting mail, records keeping, and systems database maintenance
Other Finance initiatives and projects (10%)
- Minimum 1 year of relevant experience in Accounting, Finance, or related field
- A bachelor’s degree in Accounting/Finance or equivalent work experience. Non-traditional educational paths welcomed!
- Proficiency in Excel. Ideal candidate with experience using an accounting system such as Sage Intacct.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills (written and verbal). Organized and detail oriented
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for Staff Account = $55,000 – $65,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- New Business commission incentive
- Comprehensive healthcare plans with generous employer premium contribution
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match (50% up to 6% of your salary, eligible at 90 days of employment)
- Profit sharing plan (2% of total W2 earnings, eligible after a year of employment)
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- We have adopted a hybrid remote and in-office worksite model. You have the option to work remotely from your home and will travel to Company meetings/events as needed, or you can work from any one of our office locations.
Fenton is an anti-racist and intersectional organization that prioritizes the needs of those who have been historically marginalized or oppressed. We do the work of creating positive social change as an act of repairing the harm done to those who have been and are currently disenfranchised across racial, gender, sexual orientation and preference, religious and other marginalized backgrounds. We are committed to doing work that is rooted in justice and equity and continuing to learn how to do this work better.
People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers. We are committed to working with and providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please email Human Resources (firstname.lastname@example.org) and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information.