NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Senior Account Executive, Political Advocacy
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy, and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
This job will be remote for the duration of shelter-in-place policies due to the Covid pandemic. Please note that we are in the process of determining a new model to resume working in person which could include a remote and in-office hybrid approach.
We are seeking a Senior Account Executive who is deeply immersed in political news, democracy reform and the US electoral process. If you are savvy in media relations, plugged in with political reporters, eager to work on making progressive policies a reality, and consider yourself a “political news junkie”, then come talk with us! Ideal candidate will also be a project management guru – able to oversee and lead a team in the flawless execution of media strategies.
The Senior Account Executive is a significant contributor to client accounts and has a wide range of management, editorial and creative responsibilities.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and execute advanced public relations tactics, including:
- Oversee media campaigns and contribute to strategic planning for clients
- Pitch high level reporters, editors, producers, and columnists
- Write, edit and review press releases, fact sheets, op-eds and other press materials
- Organize and staff press events and editorial board visits
- Serve as primary client contact for small to mid-level accounts
- Contribute media relations ideas to brainstorm sessions and new business meetings
- Develop pitch plans and media outreach strategies, and coordinate media relations across multiple staff
- Develop client strategy with senior staff
- Assist in managing pieces of large accounts and may lead on smaller accounts as assigned
- Manage client and funder relations
- Provide weekly status reports to client, including budget updates
- Contribute to proposal writing and strategy memos
People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelors’ degree in or related experience as well as non-traditional educational paths
- 5-7 years of experience in communications/public relations and media relations
- Demonstrated knowledge of standards, principles, and techniques of public relations, communications, and social activism
- Firm understanding of client billing processes, client contracts and customer service
- Demonstrated ability to pitch and service clients
- Ability to efficiently multitask under tight deadlines
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook/Entourage), Cision, and internet research skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contractors, and media
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, and flexibility in approach to project assignments
- Ability to interact and meet client and team expectations in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Knowledge of one of more of Fenton’s issue areas
- Extensive knowledge with print and electronic news media
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for Senior Account Executive = 70,000 – 85,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- A stipend to support your work-from-home setup
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.