Permanent / Full Time
Finance Manager – New York Office
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world. Our communications and digital experts combine creative skills with deep sector expertise to help change makers maximize the impact of their work.
Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
Fenton is seeking a Finance Manager to join the agency’s finance & accounting department. We are looking for an analytical, accomplished financial reporting and planning specialist who can provide the organization with insight into its performance in all key areas – finances, business operations and client profitability.
Qualified candidates must be a Certified Public Accountant with Big 4 or similar accounting firm experience. Prior experience with a professional services firm, especially in the public relations or advertising industry is a major plus.
Strong financial modeling experience and proficiency with Microsoft Excel is required; familiarity with financial accounting and project management systems is key. Ability to manage operational issues such as staff capacity and resource planning would also be a plus. A strong knowledge of internal controls and operational application and generally accepted accounting principles is essential. You will also help to improve the overall financial planning, forecasting and reporting process. You will work closely with business leaders to evaluate new business concepts & investments and turn analytical insights into operational results.
Five or more years of professional experience is preferred.
- A highly analytical, accomplished financial reporting and planning analyst who can build efficient and effective reporting and forecasting tools that encompass client profitability, management reporting, income statement analysis and expense forecasting.
- Knowledgeable about proper generally accepted accounting principles, internal controls and the application thereof on the operation. Experienced in general ledger, bookkeeping practices, month-end closings, and the preparation of quarterly and annual financial reports for both internal and external audiences.
- Someone who has a demonstrated track record of success in a financial analysis role in a high-growth, services-oriented organization
- Able to partner with the CFO and build close working relationships with members of the senior team with an ability to be direct, open, and candid.
- Have strong experience building and maintaining financial models, forecasting tools and budgets. Financial and operational system implementation experience would be a valued asset/skill.
- Eager to learn, teach others what you know, and participate in a team with a collaborative style
- Known for your demonstration of the following:
- o Strong interpersonal, writing and communications skills
- o Superior analytical ability
- o Ability to quickly gain an understanding of key business drivers
- o Exceptional financial acumen
- o Strategic thinking and solid business sense
- o Ability to address the day-to-day details while managing to the big picture
- o Flexibility and managing multiple priorities
- o Hands-on approach
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Owning the accuracy of timely financial information. Ensure the monthly accounting close is completed on schedule and support the CFO to ensure monthly financial statements are prepared on a GAAP basis. Also own and ensure the accuracy of all sub-ledgers and supporting information that roll into the culmination of the monthly reporting cycle.
- Preparing internal reporting and analysis
- Supporting the accounting team with the billing of complex projects to clients and ensuring the proper accounting of project-related expenses
- Demonstrate initiative, proactively support, and help develop budget scenarios to inform strategic decision-making and cost-saving initiatives
- Work with accounting team to ensure proper budget coding for all purchases through our accounts payable software
- Monitor spending across all departments and programs, to ensure budget adherence
- Provide timely, relevant and accurate reporting & analysis of the agency’s performance against historical, budgeted, forecasted and strategic planning results and objectives to facilitate decision-making toward the achievement of the strategic plan.
- Maintain and develop various financial models and templates distributed for use by Finance and Senior Managers during the planning process and the evaluation of monthly results, ensuring quality, accuracy and focused analytic review.
- Creation and maintenance of the monthly operating budget with periodic updates to support rolling projections and forecasts.
- Assist with the new business process and working with Account Leads, Client Service managers and contract management.
- Determine revenue recognition for the month-end closing process based on ASC-606.
- Update the agency’s pricing model and review quotes to prospective clients for adherence to profitability standards.
- Develop a reporting and analysis suite of tools to measure staff productivity, project performance and client profitability.
- Design the reports, train client account services staff/leadership and implement a complete client profitability toolset.
- Research and resolve Account Management and client profitability inquiries for assigned functional areas.
- Perform monthly balance sheet, income statement and changes in financial position/budget variance analysis.
- Oversee operational areas such as staff and budget capacity, resource planning, project assignments and supporting the client service teams on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for performing special projects to improve process efficiency and performance. Projects as assigned by Management.
- Increase productivity by developing automated reporting/forecasting tools.
Compensation: Competitive, with benefits. Submissions without salary requirements will not be considered. We offer a comprehensive benefits package that aligns with our progressive values, such as medical, dental and vision coverage with competitive employer premium contributions, 401k Retirement plan with corporate match, Profit Sharing plan; generous PTO, days off to volunteer and strong company culture embedded with our values and commitment to social justice.
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.