Permanent / Full Time
Director of Business Development
New York, NY or Washington, D.C.
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world. Our communications experts combine creative skills with deep sector expertise to help changemakers maximize the impact of their work.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., and San Francisco, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are seeking a Director of Business Development who has 4-8 years of experience, ideally in an agency setting or immersed in Fenton’s community of clients – campaigns, issue advocacy, foundations and nonprofits. This person will report to Fenton’s Chief Digital & Marketing Officer and work closely with the CEO. The Ideal candidate will be excellent with project management, intuitively understand the needs of potential partners for Fenton and able to manage the business development process from start to finish.
The Director of Business Development will work across multiple teams and office locations virtually on a daily basis, but this position does not work directly with client accounts. This person will be a significant contributor to the growth of Fenton and has a wide range of project management and internal coordination skills. Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Managing the new business development process across all Fenton offices
- Actively pursuing and identifying new opportunities and strategies for the agency
- Filtering and reviewing all requests for proposals (RFPs)
- Vetting and responding to inquiries coming into the general new project email account
- Project managing the proposal process, including creating a work plan and timeline, outlining research needs, contributing to research as needed, laying the groundwork for the proposal design and presentation set up, and proofreading content before proposals are considered final
- Maintaining business development infrastructure, including brand decks, capabilities decks, case studies, proposal and presentation templates
- Archiving and tracking proposals, and ensuring Fenton’s business development tracking tools including Salesforce are used to their fullest extent
- Contributing ideas to brainstorm sessions and new business meetings, and strategy for areas of potential growth including issue and service areas where Fenton can succeed
- Providing weekly status reports to the marketing and leadership teams
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities:
- Bachelor’s degree
- 4-8 years of experience in an agency, non-profit/campaign or foundation setting with a proven track record of strong project management.
- Ability to efficiently multitask under tight deadlines
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook), Google Suite, Slack, and internet research tools
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff and potential clients
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism and flexibility in approach to project assignments
- Ability to interact and meet team expectations in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Highly organized with attention to detail
- Demonstrated knowledge of standards, principles, and techniques of marketing, public relations, communications and social activism
- Is passionate about social issues and interested in working on campaigns which tackle progressive causes
- Knowledge of progressive politics and one of more of Fenton’s issue areas
Salary range is $85 -110k. Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.