NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Vice President, Digital (Advocacy and Politics)
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world. Our communications and digital experts combine creative skills with deep sector expertise to help change makers maximize the impact of their work.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco and Seattle, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are currently seeking a Digital Vice President with a passion for making social change. They will play a pivotal role in the strategic direction of our account work and new business activities. This role requires a strategic thinker who is able to gain a deep understanding of the agency capabilities, recommend how we develop and package those capabilities and match them to client needs.
The VP oversees account teams in addition to direct reports; contributes to and leads the creation of strategies that strengthen our firm in areas such as professional development or strengthening our subject areas of focus for the firm. They are a trusted counselor to our clients, a standard-bearer of excellence in our firm and a role model of leadership to our staff.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and overseeing digital strategies for individual organizations and coalition movements, providing high level counsel to CEOs/EDs, Board members, other senior leaders.
- Creating a wide range of high-level communications products including strategic plans, proposals, creation of specific platforms, digital and social media messaging documents, etc.
- Managing integrated, data-driven digital campaigns, including social media, website development, email advocacy and fundraising, as well as paid media (social, search, and display)
- Providing the highest level of substantive, strategist counsel to clients to foster the relationship of a trusted advisor and ensuring clients receive regular status reports and budget updates
- Providing day-to-day oversight of multiple large accounts including strategic counsel, quality control checks, and evaluation of account progress and client satisfaction
- Leading team in developing and executing advanced digital communication campaign strategies, naming and branding/rebranding digital projects
- Planning and conducting client conferences, representing the agency at Board meetings, and providing high-level trainings such as digital media skills and storytelling.
- Managing the profitability of clients and the billability and effectiveness of the respective teams; implementing corrective actions to improve performance, efficiency and profitability.
- Ensuring direct reports meet or exceed weekly billings requirements
- Providing budget projections for weekly financial meetings
- Assuming an office-wide role in training and mentoring staff
- Projecting hours needed from staff assigned to accounts, working with other senior staff to distribute billable hours among junior staff as necessary
- Pro-actively targeting key industry prospects; developing & writing proposals; pitching and securing new business, focusing on potential clients who share Fenton’s progressive social perspective and commitment to sound environmental practices.
- Building, genuine, long term relationships with potential clients in order to drive revenue
- Tracking and monitoring ongoing leads in an organized, shareable fashion, collaborating with lead account individuals to work towards united success and client conversion.
- Minimum Bachelors’ degree in Public Relations, Communications, Advertising, Political Science, English or related field
- 8-12 years’ experience in digital organizing, public interest advocacy, political campaign, or demonstrated equivalent experience in advocacy/political communications
- Proven track record of using digital tactics to help clients advance legislative, electoral, or public policy wins on a variety of issues
- Experience planning and managing cross-channel digital paid media campaigns across social media, programmatic, and search
- An expert in effective acquisition strategies and familiarity with advocacy CRMs such as EveryAction, and ActionNetwork
- Experience managing effective small-donor fundraising and retention strategies for c(3), c(4) and PAC clients
- Deep background in managing effective direct messaging campaigns via email as well as broadcast and peer-to-peer SMS
- Tangible experience in conceptualizing and project managing complex website development
- Strong project management skills
- Experience in a public relations or advertising agency highly desirable; firm understanding of client billing process, client contracts and customer service
- Demonstrated ability to manage client account and budgets
- Demonstrated business development and public networking skills
- Demonstrated ability to pitch and land new business skills
- 5-7 years’ staff management and mentoring experience, including direct management of a staff of 2 individuals at varying careers levels
- Excellent news sense and political savviness, as well as knowledge of digital and traditional news media
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contractors and media
- Strong experience writing proposals
- Ability to interact and perform in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism and flexibility in approach to project assignment
We offer a comprehensive benefits package that aligns with our progressive values, such as medical, dental and vision coverage with competitive employer premium contributions, 401k Retirement plan with corporate match, Profit Sharing plan; generous PTO, days off to volunteer and strong company culture embedded with our values and commitment to social justice.
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.