NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Digital Account Director, CSR – Passion for Global Health
NY, DC, LA or SF
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy, and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are currently seeking a Digital Account Director who shares our passion for addressing the inequity in access to healthcare in underserved communities and our commitment to increasing wellbeing worldwide. They will serve as a resident expert in global health communications, digital marketing strategies, and narrative storytelling. Applying integrated communication skills, they will lead a team to amplify our client’s global portfolio of programs in regions with the highest community health burdens.
We are seeking individuals with experience in an agency setting or immersed in Fenton’s community of clients – campaigns, issue advocacy, foundations, and nonprofits. People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.
They will play a pivotal role in the strategic direction of our account work and business development activities. This role requires a strategic thinker who is able to gain a deep understanding of integrated agency capabilities and has a background in building well-rounded communications campaigns for purpose-led brands, including but not limited to branding, digital content creation and platforms, earned media strategy and creative storytelling.
The Digital AD oversees account teams in addition to direct reports. The Digital AD contributes to – and leads – the creation of digital and integrated strategies that strengthen our firm. The Digital AD is a trusted counselor to our clients, a standard-bearer of excellence in our firm and a role model of leadership to our staff.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing and overseeing digital strategies for purpose-led brands and organizations; contributing to integrated strategies
- Managing integrated, data-driven digital campaigns, including social media, website development, email advocacy outreach and paid media (social, search, and display)
- Creating a wide range of high-level communications products including strategic plans, proposals, creation of specific platforms, digital and social media messaging, etc.
- Provide guidance and assign work to junior staff, reviewing their work closely for client-readiness, tone, clarity, strategy and errors
- Client Management
- Providing the highest and closest level of substantive counsel to and day to day engagement with clients to foster the relationship of a trusted advisor and ensuring clients receive regular status reports and budget updates. Serves as day to day client contact, responding to emails promptly and driving client calls.
- Developing clear and concise reports and audits that break down complicated data into easy-to understand language while always keeping the client’s goals in mind
- Counseling both digitally nascent and sophisticated clients on communications best practices to reach their goals and KPIs
- Supporting Associate Vice President and other senior leadership to generate new business by identifying growth opportunities on client projects
- Project Management
- Managing the intake of new projects, ranging from immediate to long-range time horizons, and effectively leveraging staff and resources to accomplish client requests
- Providing day-to-day oversight of multiple large accounts including strategic counsel, quality control checks, and evaluation of account progress and client satisfaction
- Managing the profitability of clients and the billability and effectiveness of the respective teams; implementing corrective actions to improve performance, efficiency and profitability.
- Firm Responsibilities
- Assuming an office-wide role in training and mentoring staff
- Projecting hours needed from staff assigned to accounts, working with other senior staff to distribute billable hours among junior staff as necessary
- Working closely with reps from the platforms (Cision, Google, Facebook/Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat) to stay on top of best marketing practices and recommendations.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience as well as non-traditional educational paths.
- 5-8 years’ experience in digital communications, agency, or demonstrated equivalent experience in NGO or government public relations
- Experience in global health, global development or corporate social responsibility required, background in pharma, epidemiology or drug research and development a bonus
- Experience in a public relations or advertising agency highly desirable; firm understanding of client billing process, client contracts and customer service
- Strong and proven skills in project management (staff, budget and client relations)
- Exceptional and adaptable writer, with the ability to write for multiple media/platforms, tones, etc.
- Experience creating, launching, and optimizing integrated communications campaigns, across social media, editorial, thought leadership and paid media
- Takes a data-driven approach to campaigns and can analyze and optimize campaigns and make decisions based on the data
- Demonstrated business development, including proposal development, pitching, and landing new business skills
- 2-4 years’ staff management and mentoring experience, including direct management of a staff at varying careers levels
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines, and interact and perform in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to make decisions and communicate them clearly and effectively under time pressure – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contractors, and media
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, strong attention to detail, optimism, and flexibility in approach to project assignment
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for Account Director = 85,000 – 110,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- A stipend to support your work-from-home setup
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.