NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy and branding. We are a mission driven, for-profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are currently seeking a Digital Account Director within our Advocacy vertical with a passion for making social change, with an emphasis on political advocacy and interested in working on campaigns that tackle progressive causes.
The Digital Account Director is responsible for the day-to-day management of assigned accounts. This includes overseeing the development and implementation of strategic digital communications plans, client budgets and serving as a relationship manager to clients.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- As a key client manager, oversee client relationships encompassing managing expectations, determining need to pivot and bringing in senior counsel for problem-solving
- Provide strategic guidance to project teams to ensure quality of produced work
- Develop and oversee digital strategies for individual organizations as well as unique work streams within a larger cross-communications efforts
- Manage integrated, data-driven digital campaigns, including social media, website development, email advocacy outreach and paid media (social, search, and display)
- Create a wide range of high-level communications products including strategic plans, proposals, creation of specific platforms, digital and social media messaging documents, etc.
Client and Account Management
- Provide the highest level of substantive, digital counsel to clients to foster the relationship of a trusted advisor and ensuring clients receive regular status reports and budget updates
- Develop clear and concise digital reports and audits that break down complicated data into easy-to understand language while always keeping the client’s goals in mind
- Counsel both digitally nascent and sophisticated clients on digital best practices to reach their goals and KPIs
- Manage the intake of new projects, ranging from immediate to long-range time horizons, and effectively leverage staff and resources to accomplish client requests
- Provide day-to-day oversight of multiple large accounts including strategic counsel, quality control checks, and evaluation of account progress and client satisfaction
- Manage the profitability of clients and the billability and effectiveness of the respective teams; implementing corrective actions to improve performance, efficiency and profitability.
- Project hours needed from staff assigned to accounts, working with other senior staff to distribute billable hours among junior staff as necessary
- Work closely with reps from the platforms (Google, Facebook/Instagram, Pinterest, Snapchat) to stay on top of best marketing practices and recommendations.
- Bachelors’ degree or equivalent experience as well as non-traditional educational paths
- Minimum 5-8 years’ experience in digital organizing, public interest advocacy, political campaign, or demonstrated equivalent experience in advocacy/political communications
- Proven track record of using digital tactics to help clients advance legislative, electoral, or public policy wins on a variety of issues
- Experience in a public relations or advertising agency highly desirable; firm understanding of client billing process, client contracts and customer service
- Experience planning and managing cross-channel digital paid media campaigns across social media, programmatic, and search
- Understanding how to incorporate offline media vehicles (press-outreach, field, TV, radio, out-of-home, events, etc) into a wholistic communications strategy.
- An expert in effective acquisition strategies and familiarity with advocacy CRMs such as EveryAction, and ActionNetwork
- Experience managing effective small-donor fundraising and retention strategies for c(3), c(4) and PAC clients with a track record of success.
- Background in managing effective direct messaging campaigns via email as well as broadcast and peer-to-peer SMS
- Tangible experience in conceptualizing and managing complex website development projects (knowledge of conversion-centered design principals a plus)
- Strong project management skills
- Demonstrated business development, including proposal development, pitching and landing new business skills
- 2-4 years’ staff management and mentoring experience, including direct management of a staff at varying careers levels
- Ability to juggle multiple tasks under tight deadlines, and interact and perform in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contractors, and media
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, and flexibility in approach to project assignment
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for Account Director = $85,000 – $110,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- A stipend to support your work-from-home setup
Fenton is an anti-racist and intersectional organization that prioritizes the needs of those who have been historically marginalized or oppressed. We do the work of creating positive social change as an act of repairing the harm done to those who have been and are currently disenfranchised across racial, gender, sexual orientation and preference, religious and other marginalized backgrounds. We are committed to doing work that is rooted in justice and equity and continuing to learn how to do this work better.
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of people of color, members of the LGBTQI community, people with disabilities and women. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work and believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.