NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Controller – National Agency
Fenton is the social change agency with a focus on human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. We are in the midst of a period of rapid growth and expansion
Fenton is seeking an experienced agency controller to join the agency’s ﬁnance & accounting department. We are looking for an analytical, accomplished management and ﬁnancial reporting specialist who can provide the organization with insight into its performance in all key areas – ﬁnances, business operations and client proﬁtability.
Qualiﬁed candidates must have minimum seven years relevant experience and be a Certiﬁed Public Accountant with either Big 4 or similar experience. Prior controller experience with an agency is a major plus as is familiarity with Sage Intacct (accounting software system). Strong ﬁnancial modeling experience and proﬁciency with Microsoft Excel is required; familiarity with ﬁnancial accounting and project management systems is key. A fundamental knowledge of internal controls and operational application and generally accepted accounting principles is essential. You will also help to improve the overall ﬁnancial planning, forecasting and reporting process. You will work closely with business leaders to evaluate new business concepts & investments and turn analytical insights into operational results.
- A highly analytical, accomplished controller who can build eﬃcient and eﬀective accounting controls and reporting tools that encompass client proﬁtability, management reporting, income statement analysis, budgeting and cash ﬂow forecasting.
- Knowledgeable about proper generally accepted accounting principles, internal controls and operational application. Your team is responsible for maintaining the general ledger, transaction process, conducting a structured month-end accounting close and preparing quarterly and annual ﬁnancial reports for both internal and external audiences.
- Someone who has a demonstrated track record of success in a controller role in a high-growth, services-oriented organization
- Ability to build and manage a team with expertise in accounts payable, accounts receivable, revenue recognition and other accounting and ﬁnance functions.
- Have strong experience building and maintaining ﬁnancial models, forecasting tools and budgets.
- Eager to learn, teach others what you know, and participate in a team with a collaborative style
- Known for your demonstration of the following: o Superior analytical ability
- Ability to quickly gain an understanding of key business drivers
- Exceptional ﬁnancial acumen
- Strategic thinking and solid business sense
- Ability to address the day-to-day details while managing to the big picture
- Hands-on approach
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Owning the accuracy of timely ﬁnancial information. As the controller, you will be responsible for maintaining the general ledger, ﬁnancial transaction process and operation, conducting a structured month-end accounting close and preparing quarterly and annual ﬁnancial reports for both internal and external audiences.
- Preparing internal reporting and analysis
- Building and managing a system of managerial and ﬁnancial analysis and reporting to provide senior business leaders with the KPIs and other ﬁnancial analysis they require in a timely manner
- Demonstrate initiative, proactively support, and ensure smooth budget processes
- Help develop budget scenarios to inform strategic decision-making
- Make recommendations for budget allocations and cost-saving initiatives
- Provide advice and technical assistance in the preparation of annual budgets and budget forecasts; present to staﬀ, senior leadership, and the ﬁnance committee of the Board of Trustees
- Ensure proper budget coding for all purchases through our accounts payable software
- Monitor spending across all departments and programs, to ensure budget adherence
- Provide timely, relevant and accurate reporting & analysis of the agency’s performance against historical, budgeted, forecasted and strategic planning results and objectives to facilitate decision-making toward the achievement of the annual budget and strategic plan.
- Maintain and develop various ﬁnancial models and templates distributed for use by Finance and Senior Managers during the planning process and the evaluation of monthly results, ensuring quality, accuracy and focused analytic review.
- Creation and maintenance of the monthly operating budget with periodic updates to support rolling projections and forecasts.
- Determine revenue recognition for the month-end closing process based on percentage of project completion.
- Create and maintain a rolling 180-day cash ﬂow forecast.
- Develop a reporting and analysis suite of tools to measure staﬀ productivity, project performance and client proﬁtability.
- Design the reports, train client account services staﬀ/leadership and implement a complete client proﬁtability toolset.
- Research and resolve Account Management and client proﬁtability inquiries for assigned functional areas.
- Perform monthly balance sheet, income statement and changes in ﬁnancial position/budget variance analysis.
- Analyze data to ensure proper accounting procedures have been followed.
- Prepare ﬁnancial reports, charts, tables and other exhibits as requested.
- Responsible for performing special projects to improve process eﬃciency and performance. Projects as assigned by Management.
- Manage annual, monthly and quarterly forecasting.
- Increase productivity by developing automated reporting/forecasting tools.
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for 110,000 – $150,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- New Business commission incentive
- Comprehensive healthcare plans with generous employer premium contribution
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match (50% up to 6% of your salary, eligible at 90 days of employment)
- Profit sharing plan (2% of total W2 earnings, eligible after a year of employment)
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the aﬃrmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reﬂected in our client work.