NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Associate Vice President – Communications – Passion for Global Health
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy, and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are seeking an individual who has 7-10 years of experience in an agency setting or immersed in Fenton’s community of clients – campaigns, issue advocacy, foundations and nonprofits. People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.
Fenton seeks an Associate Vice President who shares our passion for addressing the inequity in access to healthcare in underserved communities and our commitment to increasing wellbeing worldwide. The ideal Associate Vice President is proactive, vision-oriented, strategic and persuasive, and will leverage these traits to serve as a resident expert in global health communications, digital marketing strategies, and narrative storytelling. Applying integrated communication skills ranging from earned media, messaging, and digital marketing skills, they will lead a team to amplify our client’s global portfolio of programs in regions with the highest community health burdens. A bold and creative ideator, they will turn their ideas into winning strategic decks and smart CSR campaign strategy.
The Associate Vice President is responsible for the day-to-day leadership of assigned accounts and the cultivation of new business, working closely with an Account Director and Project Manager. This includes overseeing the development and implementation of strategic communications plans, client budgets and serving as a relationship manager to clients. They may supervise team members servicing each account in addition to other staff core members. This position at Fenton signals the eventual transition to Vice President and comes with the expectation to provide recommendations that enhance the performance, culture, and future of the firm. The Associate Vice President is also a leader that models to the staff our values of stewarding outstanding client work and collaboration within the firm.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Developing account strategic direction through creating strategic, persuasive, and visual proposals, workplans and memos with key project recommendations
- Managing the execution of integrated communications and brand campaign strategies and tactics
- Setting and ensuring success metrics are met or exceed expectations or are adapted as needed
- As a key client manager, overseeing client relationships encompassing managing expectations, supporting Account Director to problem solve and make calls to pivot, and assessing and seeking account growth opportunities
- Providing leadership and supporting crisis communications as needed
- Providing oversight, guidance and sign-off on materials from the team, including op-eds, creative briefs, strategy memos and decks, and reporting.
- Providing strategic guidance to job teams to ensure quality of produced work
- Driving and producing contracts, grant proposals, high level strategy memos, and foundation reports
- Conducting trainings for clients such as media training, storytelling, etc.
- Leading the development of messaging platforms including drafting key content
- Leading the creative teams on the development of branding projects
- Creating and managing client budgets for profitability and preventing overages
- Securing new business with support from Vice President, Senior Vice President, Managing Director or CEO
- Offering the strategic direction for proposals
o Independently identifying new business prospects
o Cultivating prospects in the pipeline
o Leading the proposal-writing process or writing major components
o Pitching/presenting proposals
o Establishing target financial goals as part of professional goals
- Supervising, training and mentoring junior staff members
- Delegating appropriate tasks to junior staff in a collaborative manner
- Acting as a model of good citizenship
- Attending regular staff and team meetings – providing input and feedback on business improvement, including client service staff development, and office procedures
- Bachelors’ degree or related experience as well as non-traditional educational paths
- 7-10 years of experience in digital communications, agency, or demonstrated equivalent experience in NGO or government public relations
- Experience in a public relations or advertising agency highly desirable; firm understanding of client billing process, client contracts and customer service
- Experience in global health, global development or corporate social responsibility required, experience in pharmaceuticals, R&D, or epidemiology a bonus
- Demonstrated knowledge of standards, principles, and techniques of messaging, branding, public relations, communications, and social activism
- Prior experience managing project budgets
- Demonstrated ability to manage client accounts
- Demonstrated ability to design a long-term creative communications campaign
- Developing networks of business and political contacts
- Strong computer skills using Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Google docs), LexisNexis, and Internet research skills
- Strong presentation skills, including deck creation and presentation
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbal and nonverbal, with various levels of staff, clients, contactors, and media
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, and flexibility in approach to project assignments
- Ability to interact and meet client and team expectations in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Knowledge of one of more of Fenton’s issue areas
- Extensive knowledge of traditional news and digital media
- Demonstrated management and mentorship experience
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for the Associate Vice President level is $110K – $140k/year
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- A stipend to support your work-from-home setup
This job will be remote for the duration of Shelter in Place policies due to Covid, then back to our offices with some work from home flexibility.
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, Black, Latinx, AAPI people, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.