NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy, and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
We are currently seeking an Account Director with 5-7 years of work experience in cause-driven communications in an agency setting or immersed in the political advocacy world, with a focus on advancing progressive policy priorities. We need a mid-level leader passionate about some of the biggest fights ahead of us — especially as part of the 2022 election cycle — for reproductive rights, voting rights, racial justice, and climate action, among many others. If you’re ready to work closely with the media to make these priorities a reality, this is the role for you.
The Account Director will develop and execute strategies and tactics, manage budgets, and serve as a key client liaison, responsible for the day-to-day management of assigned accounts, including developing and executing strategies and tactics managing budgets. They supervise team members servicing each account and contribute to the identification, cultivation, and support of new business.
Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Overseeing staff in developing and executing advanced public relations campaign strategies and tactics
- Contributing to setting the best practices for success measurement on accounts
- Providing day-to-day supervision for assigned client accounts
- Managing client relations
- Managing media campaigns for multiple mid-sized clients – including the design of long-term creative communication campaigns
- Editing press materials, including press releases, fact sheets and opinion pieces
- Providing strategic guidance to job teams to ensure quality of produced work
- Providing status reports on progress towards client goals to Vice President, Senior Vice President or Managing Director
- Overseeing the creation of monthly status reports to clients – including budget updates
- Playing a leadership role in writing contracts, grant proposals, high level strategy memos, and foundation reports
- Advising and editing research reports
- Pitching key reporters, prospective funders, and potential allies
- Conducting trainings for clients such as media training, storytelling, etc.
- Overseeing development of messaging platforms including drafting content
- Working with creative teams on the development of branding project
- Managing client budgets for profitability and preventing overages
- Securing new business with support from Vice President, Senior Vice President, Managing Director or CEO which encompasses:
- Independently identifying new business prospects
- Cultivating prospects in the pipeline
- Taking a lead on proposals or major components
- Pitching/presenting proposals along with senior team members
- Directly supervise, train and mentor junior staff members, delegating appropriate tasks to junior staff in a collaborative manner
- Acting as a model of good citizenship
- Attending regular staff and team meetings – providing input and feedback on business improvement, including client service staff development, and office procedures
- Minimum Bachelors’ degree or equivalent work experience. Non-traditional educational paths welcomed!
- 5-7 years’ experience in leading communication strategies either in an agency or political non-profit organizations
- Demonstrated knowledge of standards, principles, and techniques of public relations, communications, and social activism
- Prior experience managing project budgets
- Demonstrated ability to manage client accounts
- Demonstrated ability to design a long-term creative communications campaign
- Developing networks of business and political contacts
- Excellent news and political savviness
- Strong computer skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively – both verbally and written, with various levels of staff, clients, contractors and media
- Demonstrated resourcefulness, optimism, and flexibility in approach to project assignments
- Ability to interact and meet client and team expectations in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- Knowledge of one of more of Fenton’s issue areas
- Extensive knowledge of traditional news and digital media
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for Account Director = $85,000 – $110,000
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- New Business commission incentive
- Comprehensive healthcare plans with generous employer premium contribution
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match (50% up to 6% of your salary, eligible at 90 days of employment)
- Profit sharing plan (2% of total W2 earnings, eligible after a year of employment)
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- A stipend to support your work-from-home setup
- We have adopted a hybrid remote and in-office worksite model. You have the option to work remotely from your home and will travel to Company meetings/events as needed, or you can work from any one of our office locations.
Fenton is an anti-racist and intersectional organization that prioritizes the needs of those who have been historically marginalized or oppressed. We do the work of creating positive social change as an act of repairing the harm done to those who have been and are currently disenfranchised across racial, gender, sexual orientation and preference, religious and other marginalized backgrounds. We are committed to doing work that is rooted in justice and equity and continuing to learn how to do this work better.
People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. As an Equal Opportunity Employer, we are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.