Permanent / Full Time
Account Director, Media Relations
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world. Our communications experts combine creative skills with deep sector expertise to help changemakers maximize the impact of their work.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco and Seattle, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
The Account Director, Media Relations is responsible for the overall planning and budgeting for profitability on assigned accounts with a particular focus on Media Relations. The Account Director Media Relations will serve as the center of excellence in earned media and will develop best practices across all offices to add value to our client’s business. Essential responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Identify and cultivate relationships with national media (broadcast, print and online) for current and future clients
- Develop a pitch plan and strategy for clients that is innovative and timely based on client needs and news trends
- Secure strong placements for Fenton clients
- Produce excellent writing, from pitch emails to op-eds
- Demonstrate an ability to be nimble, learning new media segments quickly and learning key media in new issue areas
- Manage and support account staff in implementing a media outreach strategy, from planning (conceiving pitches) and coordination (implementing pitch grids and lists) to tracking and placement.
Communications, Management & Client Service
- Often serve as the lead communicator and consultant with clients and partners regarding communication plans and strategies.
- Serve as a trusted advisor to your clients/vendors/teams.
- Prepare strategic recommendations and other high-level written communications in a succinct and persuasive fashion.
- Demonstrate sound judgment and the ability to articulate difficult ideas and messages in your verbal and written communications and you coach members of your team on improving their communications effectiveness.
- Identify significant issues that require the attention of your manager, client or other key contacts.
- Lead your team in writing, editing, project management and administrative tasks.
- Take a holistic view of your projects, understanding where they fit with client and agency goals, cultures and values and with industry trends and expectations.
Client Development and Growth
- Demonstrate an ongoing commitment to establishing new business, leading your team in pitching and developing new business as well as organic growth.
- Position yourself in a thought leadership role and focus energy on agency marketing.
- Lead creative brainstorming and tactical plan development meetings, providing guidance and ground rules to participants and re-directing meetings to ensure that the meeting’s goals are met.
- Demonstrate ability to answer the questions: “what’s missing” and “how would the prospect perceive this” and then modulating language and pitch approaches to accommodate those factors.
- Deliver client presentations with confidence.
- Participate in client pitch meetings, explaining program details and approaches in a confident and compelling way.
Staff Development/Firm Management:
- Directly supervise, train and mentor junior staff members
- Delegate appropriate tasks to junior staff in a clean and collaborative manner
- Attend regular staff and team meetings – providing input and feedback on business improvement, including client service staff development, and office procedures