NY, DC, SF, or LA
Permanent / Full Time
Communications in Social Justice
LA or SF
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in progressive advocacy, human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education, and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington D.C., San Francisco, and staff across the country, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns and offer a wide range of communications services including media relations, digital strategy, and branding. We are a mission driven, for profit company whose clients are nonprofits, foundations, and social purpose companies. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of purpose and community across the agency.
This job will be remote for the duration of Shelter in Place policies due to Covid, then back to our offices with some work from home flexibility.
Entry Level Opportunity
We are currently seeking a communications savvy Account Coordinator with a passion for making progressive social change. Preferred candidates will have 1-2 years of experience in project support, research, media relations and social media campaigns in public interest advocacy or social justice communications setting or demonstrated equivalent experience.
Fenton has a high-energy, challenging, and supportive environment that puts its clients first while taking professional development of its staff seriously. We want staff who want to work hard, work smart and learn how to be effective change-makers.
The Account Coordinator’s primary role is to provide project support in the development and execution of communications strategies for our clients. A typical week will include a blend of project coordination and logistics, media outreach, research, copy-editing, media monitoring and participation in larger team strategy sessions.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor news media and social media, compile summaries of coverage
- Research relevant journalists for targeted pitches and build media lists
- Pitch all levels of reporters, editors, producers, bloggers
- Conduct research on issue areas, online communities, media markets and new business prospects
- Help create and edit press releases, advisories, pitch memos, fact sheets, op-eds, online content, and other collateral
- Assist with client accounting codes, budgets, projections, and work plans
- Schedule meetings and setting up teleconferences, as needed
- Contribute to message development
- Conduct communications audits using Google, Lexis-Nexis, Radian6 and other Internet tools
- Help with landscape and competitive analysis research projects; gather insights to inform campaigns and communications strategies.
- Organize logistics for client meetings, conferences, and other events
- Develop presentations and design materials using a number of digital tools, such as Keynote or PowerPoint
- Proofread/copyedit documents
- Participate in new business pitches as assigned
- Participate in creative brainstorm sessions
- Support digital campaigns, website projects and social media management
- Passionate and informed about social change and corporate social responsibility
- Naturally curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Prepared to put clients first and have some customer service experience
- Able to pitch and secure media placements while being an avid consumer of news
- An excellent writer and editor
- Resourceful and adept at shifting gears in a fast-paced work environment
- An eagle-eyed researcher who leaves no stones unturned
- Obsessed with the latest internet meme, what makes it so popular and how a client might ride its wave
- Eager to learn, teach others what you know, and participate in a team with a collaborative style
- Looking to enjoy a fast-paced and creative workplace with wonderful colleagues
- Bachelor’s degree or related experience as well as non-traditional educational paths
- 1-2 years of relevant experience
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Attention to detail and organization
People of color, members of the LGBTQ community, people with disabilities and women are strongly encouraged to apply. We are committed to building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive staff. We believe that our firm’s continued success is driven by hiring and retaining high caliber staff from all backgrounds, experiences, identities, and orientations. We are committed to supporting our staff in growing their careers.
- A competitive salary against industry standards
- Commitment to pay equity practices
- Published salary bands across all levels
- Salary band for Account Coordinator = 45,000 – 58,500
- Year-end discretionary bonus
- Comprehensive healthcare plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- 401K with employer match
- Profit sharing plan
- Unlimited PTO for exempt staff and generous accrual policy for non-exempt staff
- 11 paid company holidays
- Discretionary company closing between the Christmas and New Year’s holidays
- Pre-tax commuter benefits via WageWorks
- Mobile Phone Reimbursement
- A stipend to support your work-from-home setup
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, Black, Latinx, AAPI people, people with disabilities and members of the LGBTQ community. We strive to represent the diverse community reflected in our client work.