Permanent / Full Time
Account Coordinator – Communications Agency – Bilingual English/Spanish
Fenton is the social change agency taking on the world’s toughest challenges in human rights, social and economic justice, environment, education and public health. Primed with deep issue expertise and powered by creativity and passion, we create strategies for clients to help build a more just, equitable and sustainable world. Our communications experts combine creative skills with deep sector expertise to help changemakers maximize the impact of their work.
With offices in New York, Los Angeles, Washington, DC and San Francisco, we develop and execute strategic public awareness campaigns. Fenton has a culture steeped in social change and activism, with a collaborative work environment, excellent benefits and a strong sense of community across the agency.
Account Coordinator- Bilingual Spanish/English
We have an exciting opportunity in our Los Angeles or San Francisco office for a communications professional to do meaningful work in California. While the Account Coordinator will be expected to support a number of projects to promote social change, there is an immediate project opportunity aimed at ensuring there is full participation in the 2020 Census. Accurate census data is critical at driving federal funding for essential programs and services such as schools, health care, early childhood education, senior centers as well as investments in infrastructure. Census data also impacts political representation as it helps determine the number of congressional seats and redistricting. We are in the midst of developing communications campaigns that reach hard-to-count populations as designated by the census – immigrants, African Americans, Asian and Pacific Islanders, Latinos, children 0-5, homeless and low-income communities. These communities have been historically undercounted in past census efforts.
The Account Coordinator’s primary role is to provide project support in the development and execution of communication strategies for our clients. A typical week will include a blend of project coordination and logistics, ethnic and in-language media outreach, research, copy-editing, media monitoring and participation in larger team strategy sessions.
Preferred candidates will have 1-2 years of prior work, internship or volunteer experience; be biliterate in Spanish and English and will have the demonstrated linguistic ability and cultural understanding to communicate with the predominate Latinx communities we serve (primarily the Mexican, Chicano and Central American communities in the Central Valley and Los Angeles regions of California). Background with farmworker and agricultural-based sectors a plus.
Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Monitor news media and social media; compile summaries of coverage
- Research relevant journalists for targeted pitches and build media lists
- Pitch all levels of reporters, editors, producers, bloggers
- Conduct research on issue areas, online communities, media markets and new business prospects
- Help create and edit press releases, advisories, pitch memos, fact sheets, op-eds, online content and other collateral
- Assist with client accounting codes, budgets, projections and work plans
- Schedule meetings and setting up teleconferences, as needed
- Contribute to message development
- Conduct communications audits using Google, Lexis-Nexis, Radian6 and other Internet tools
- Help with landscape and competitive analysis research projects; gather insights to inform campaigns and communications strategies.
- Organize logistics for client meetings, conferences and other events
- Develop presentations and design materials using a number of digital tools, such as Keynote or PowerPoint
- Proofread/copyedit documents
- Participate in new business pitches as assigned
- Participate in creative brainstorm sessions
- Support digital campaigns, website projects and social media management
- Passionate and informed about social change
- Naturally curious and eager to take on new challenges
- Prepared to put clients first and have some customer service experience
- Able to pitch and secure media placements while being an avid consumer of news
- An excellent writer and editor
- Resourceful and adept at shifting gears in a fast-paced work environment
- An eagle-eyed researcher who leaves no stones unturned
- Obsessed with the latest internet meme, what makes it so popular and how a client might ride its wave
- Eager to learn, teach others what you know, and participate in a team with a collaborative style
- Looking to enjoy a fast-paced and creative workplace with wonderful colleagues
- Bachelor’s degree (minimum requirement)
- 1-2 years of prior work, internship or volunteer experience
- Biliterate in Spanish/English (fluent orally and written)
- Demonstrated linguistic ability and cultural understanding to communicate with the predominate Latinx communities we serve (primarily the Mexican, Chicano and Central American communities in the Central Valley area of California), preferred
- Demonstrated writing and editing skills
- Ability to work on multiple projects
- Attention to detail and organization
Fenton has a high-energy, challenging, and supportive environment that puts its clients first while taking professional development of its staff seriously. We want staff who want to work hard, work smart and learn how to be effective change-makers.
Fenton is an Equal Opportunity Employer with a strong commitment to the affirmative hiring of women, people of color and members of the LGBTQ community. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees. We strive to represent the community reflected in our client work.